Sunday 30 August 2015

mamamedia predicts :: The 2015 MTV Video Music Awards

Oh yeah, we're doing this. Hope you've got your bookie on standby!

Break out the popcorn, because it's nearly time for the 2015 MTV Video Music Awards, hosted by Miley Cyrus. I can only imagine the shenanigans she has planned for us. Twerking? Nipples? Fire? Farm animals? WHO CAN SAY.


While you contemplate that, let's take a look at the nominees!

VIDEO OF THE YEAR

Beyonce - 7/11
Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud
Taylor Swift ft. Kendrick Lamar - Bad Blood
Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk
Kendrick Lamar - Alright

mama's pick :: I would be verrry surprised to see anyone but Taylor walk away with this one.

BEST MALE VIDEO

Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud
Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk
Kendrick Lamar - Alright
The Weeknd - Earned It
Nick Jonas - Chains

mama's pick :: Hmm. I do like Uptown Funk, but I think Ed or Kendrick will take this one out. I refuse to acknowledge the possibility that 50 Shades might influence the votes for Earned It. Ugh.

BEST FEMALE VIDEO

Beyonce - 7/11
Taylor Swift - Blank Space
Nicki Minaj - Anaconda
Sia - Elastic Heart
Ellie Goulding - Love Me Like You Do

mama's pick :: I think Taylor will take this one out as well (much to Nicki's displeasure...) but I think Sia deserves an award purely for making Shia LaBeouf appear attractive whilst dancing in a cage in flesh-coloured underwear. Bravo.

BEST HIP HOP VIDEO

Fetty Wap - Trap Queen
Nicki Minaj - Anaconda
Kendrick Lamar - Alright
Wiz Khalifa ft. Charlie Puth - See You Again
Big Sean ft. E-40 - I Don't F**k With You

mama's pick :: Nicki definitely got a lot of attention for her VMA nominations after her dig at Taylor Swift, but I'm not sure whether that will work for or against her with the voters. Either way, I think Kendrick's video is more deserving of the award than Anaconda.

BEST POP VIDEO

Beyonce - 7/11
Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud
Taylor Swift - Blank Space
Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk
Maroon 5 - Sugar

mama's pick :: Once again, Taylor has got to be a lock, surely? As an aside, whilst I don't think they'll win, I can't help but smile whenever I see the Sugar video. I JUST LOVE LOVE OKAY.

BEST ROCK VIDEO

Hozier - Take Me To Church
Fall Out Boy - Uma Thurman
Florence + The Machine - Ship To Wreck
Walk The Moon - Shut Up And Dance
Arctic Monkeys - Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?

mama's pick :: Who do I think will win? Hozier. Who would I like to win? Arctic Monkeys all the way! AM was a perfect album from start to finish.

ARTIST TO WATCH

Fetty Wap - Trap Queen
Vance Joy - Riptide
George Ezra - Budapest
James Bay - Hold Back The River
FKA twigs - Pendulum

mama's pick :: Yay Vance! No question, I have to back my fellow Aussie here.

BEST COLLABORATION

Taylor Swift ft. Kendrick Lamar - Bad Blood
Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars - Uptown Funk
Wiz Khalifa ft. Charlie Puth - See You Again
Ariana Grande & The Weeknd - Love Me Harder
Jessie J + Ariana Grande + Nicki Minaj - Bang Bang

mama's pick :: Do we think anyone really has a chance against Bad Blood, the ultimate in #SquadGoals? Really?

VIDEO WITH A SOCIAL MESSAGE

Jennifer Hudson - I Still Love You
Colbie Caillat - Try
Big Sean ft. Kanye West & John Legend - One Man Can Change The World
Rihanna - American Oxygen
Wale - The White Shoes

mama's pick :: Look at you MTV, being all socially responsible 'n' shit. Taking a look at past winners, gay rights and body image are the big winners in this category - both very pressing issues within the voting demographic - so my money would be on I Still Love You or Try.

So, who would get your vote? Are you looking forward to Miley's antics? Or are you cringing in anticipation? Are you #TeamTaylor or #TeamNicki? OR, are you like me over here on #TeamWhyCantWeAllJustGetAlong? Sound off in the comments!

For you Australian lovelies, you can catch the MTV VMA's live on MTV from 10:00am, Monday 31st August. Don't fret if you miss the live telecast though, as MTV will be replaying the awards on a constant loop throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment