Tuesday 24 February 2015

The Academy Awards, Keira Knightley and #AskHerMore

This morning, as I fed Liv and enjoyed a cup of tea, I switched on the TV to find a panel discussing the best & worst dressed from last night's Academy Awards.

The conversation soon turned to Keira Knightley, who had worn a Valentino gown that I personally found lovely on her, but others had not. To quote Jessica from Go Fug Yourself, "I HATE this. I hate the non-colour. I hate the writing. I hate how twee it is. I just want better for her."

Cast your eyes over the dress in question, and we shall continue...


The panel on the Today show weren't impressed either, the main reason seemingly: "She's pregnant! Why wouldn't she show off her beautiful bump! Let us see the bump! You're pregnant, flaunt it!" Etc, etc, et-freaking-c.

And on Keira's behalf, I got mad.

Sunday night was not about Keira's baby. It was about her work. Her performance in a film, that was so brilliant it earned her a nomination for one of - if not the most - prestigious awards in her field. So maybe, just perhaps, she wanted THAT to be the focus on Sunday night, hmm?

I've seen her be quite vocal in the past when asked what she has deemed to be gendered questions - things like "how do you balance your work and personal life?" I can't imagine that she would appreciate her Oscars night being diminished to solely being about her pregnancy.

I just wish that women could attend an event and be asked questions with substance about their profession, not their dresses or their dates or the occupancy of their uterus.

Which leads us ever-so-seamlessly into #AskHerMore!

Overall, the #AskHerMore movement had moderate success on Sunday night. In particular, Ryan Seacrest from E! received a lot of attention for his red carpet questions. According to red carpet coverage executive producer Gary Snegaroff, none of Seacrest's pre-prepared questions focused on fashion. When he did ask the stars who they were wearing, he made an effort to ask both men and women. However, he still came out with some clangers, such as asking Julianne Moore about Eddie Redmayne's freckles, asking 50 Shades star Dakota Johnson which props she took home, and asking The Theory of Everything nominee Felicity Jones about Stephen Hawking's flirtiness.

My personal favourite though, which sounds like a joke but is too good to make up, would have to be...

When interviewing Birdman actress and presenter Naomi Watts :: "We would like to talk about your frittata. What went into your choices of what to put into the frittata?"

YES. MORE EGG-BASED BREAKFAST QUERIES HOLLYWOOD, I BEG OF YOU.

Yeah, I think we've still got a ways to go.

#AskHerMoreBreakfastQuestions

No comments:

Post a Comment