Sunday 8 February 2015

mamamedia predicts :: The 2015 Grammy Awards

After my incredible success predicting the Golden Globes last month, I decided to have another crack at it and pick who will take home the shiny gramophones this Sunday night (or Monday afternoon, for us antipodeans.)

DISCLAIMER :: There are something like 83 award categories in 2015, so there is no way in hell that I'm going through all of them. That's not to say that it isn't a big deal for the artists nominated for Best Choral or Best Regional Mexican Music Album (Including Tejano!), I just don't have the musical knowledge to make somewhat informed predictions and wouldn't want to disrespect their craft by making every decision by closing my eyes & pointing at a name. So if your favourite category is omitted below, it's simply because I felt I didn't know enough about the nominated works to comment.

Anyway, without further ado, here are some of the big ones...

RECORD OF THE YEAR - Awarded to the performer and the production team of a single song

Fancy - Iggy Azalea feat. Charli XCX
Chandelier - Sia
Stay With Me (Darkchild Version) - Sam Smith
Shake It Off - Taylor Swift
All About That Bass - Meghan Trainor

mama's pick :: God, this category is earworm central. So, there's a lot of buzz around Sam Smith suggesting he'll be taking out a few categories, but I have to back Tay-Tay. (I am a newly converted Swiftie and my little sister couldn't be prouder.)

ALBUM OF THE YEAR - Awarded to the performer and the production team of a full album

Morning Phase - Beck
Beyonce - Beyonce
X - Ed Sheeran
In The Lonely Hour - Sam Smith
Girl - Pharrell Williams

mama's pick :: Sam Smith. But basically, I'd be fine with anyone other than Beyonce. Sorry Beyhive. I am not a fan.

SONG OF THE YEAR - Awarded to the writer(s)/composer(s) of a single song

All About That Bass - Meghan Trainor
Chandelier - Sia
Shake It Off - Taylor Swift
Stay With Me (Darkchild Version) - Sam Smith
Take Me To Church - Hozier

mama's pick :: In terms of songwriting, my favourite would be a tie between Hozier and Sia.

BEST NEW ARTIST

Iggy Azalea
Bastille
Brandy Clark
HAIM
Sam Smith

mama's pick :: Patriotism tells me to back Iggy, but I love the HAIM girls.

BEST POP SOLO PERFORMANCE

All Of Me (Live) - John Legend
Chandelier - Sia
Stay With Me (Darkchild Version) - Sam Smith
Shake It Off - Taylor Swift
Happy (Live) - Pharrell Williams

mama's pick :: My love for Chrissy Teigen is blinding me a bit here, so I have to vote for John.

BEST POP DUO/GROUP PERFORMANCE

Fancy - Iggy Azalea feat. Charli XCX
A Sky Full Of Stars - Coldplay
Say Something - A Great Big World with Christina Aguilera
Bang Bang - Jessie J, Ariana Grande & Nicki Minaj
Dark Horse - Katy Perry feat. Juicy J

mama's pick :: I think Fancy will take it out, but I LOVE Sky Full Of Stars. I've spent many a night singing that to Liv to put her to sleep. It's a great song and Chris Martin performs it beautifully.

BEST POP VOCAL ALBUM

Ghost Stories - Coldplay
Bangerz - Miley Cyrus
My Everything - Ariana Grande
Prism - Katy Perry
X - Ed Sheeran
In The Lonely Hour - Sam Smith

mama's pick :: I think it will be Sam Smith again, but I'd love to see Coldplay win. Again, anyone other than Miley or Ariana - really not a fan of either lady.

BEST ROCK PERFORMANCE

Gimme Something Good - Ryan Adams
Do I Wanna Know? - Arctic Monkeys
Blue Moon - Beck
Fever - The Black Keys
Lazaretto - Jack White

mama's pick :: Arctic Monkeys. I am still smarting over being unable to see them live in Sydney, on account of the fact that I was about eight months pregnant at the time.

BEST ROCK SONG

Ain't It Fun - Paramore
Blue Moon - Beck
Fever - The Black Keys
Gimme Something Good - Ryan Adams
Lazaretto - Jack White

mama's pick :: I love The Black Keys and Fever is so much fun...it is a songwriting award though, so will the lyrics be a bit too simple for the Academy? WE SHALL SEE.

BEST ROCK ALBUM

Ryan Adams - Ryan Adams
Morning Phase - Beck
Turn Blue - The Black Keys
Hypnotic Eye - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Songs Of Innocence - U2

mama's pick :: If this category were for Best Marketing Strategy Disguised As Gift That Went Woefully Unappreciated, then U2 would be a LOCK. As it isn't though, I'm picking Turn Blue.

BEST ALTERNATIVE MUSIC ALBUM

This Is All Yours - alt-J
Reflektor - Arcade Fire
Melophobia - Cage The Elephant
St. Vincent - St. Vincent
Lazaretto - Jack White

mama's pick :: Hmm, White Stripes did quite well at the Grammys over the years, so Jack White might be a safe bet...I do love alt-J though.

BEST RAP PERFORMANCE

3005 - Childish Gambino
0 To 100/The Catch Up - Drake
Rap God - Eminem
I - Kendrick Lamar
All I Need Is You - Lecrae

mama's pick :: Childish "Troy Barnes" Gambino. Actually, I was dancing to 3005 with my brother the other day...and my bro NEVER dances, so that's how good this song is.

BEST RAP SONG

Anaconda - Nicki Minaj
Bound 2 - Kanye West
I - Kendrick Lamar
We Dem Boyz - Wiz Khalifa
O To 100/ The Catch Up - Drake

mama's pick :: I would like Kanye to win, for no other reason than the possibility for acceptance speech GOLD.

BEST RAP ALBUM

The New Classic - Iggy Azalea
Because The Internet - Childish Gambino
Nobody's Smiling - Common
The Marshall Mathers LP2 - Eminem
Oxymoron - Schoolboy Q
Blacc Hollywood - Wiz Khalifa

mama's pick :: A controversial category this year. Iggy is only the fifth woman to ever be nominated in this category, and whilst it would be amazing to see a woman win, I don't know if she particularly deserves it...an opinion I am not alone in sharing, it seems. I'm backing Childish Gambino...mainly because I love Community. "Clearly you don't know the first thing about defeating trolls!"

BEST MUSIC VIDEO

We Exist - Arcade Fire
Turn Down For What - DJ Snake & Lil Jon
Chandelier - Sia
Happy - Pharrell Williams
The Golden Age - Woodkid feat. Max Richter

mama's pick :: I'm pretty sure the dancing penis in TDFW is going to take it out. Guaranteed*.
*dripping with sarcasm. I'm backing Maddie Ziegler & The Bodysuit.

SO. MANY. AWARDS. Who are your picks?

I am hoping to be able to liveblog the ceremony again, but we shall see. I will at least be tweeting along @ mamamedia_au.

For you Aussie babes, the awards are being broadcast from 12:00pm Monday February 9th on FOX8. See you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment