Wednesday 29 July 2015

Lessons Learnt from Episode 2 of Go Back To Where You Came From

Hope you've got your notebooks handy!


:: "I think these boats are a good idea!" A rational reaction after seeing your own sister so distressed that she threatens to jump overboard after spending a relatively short amount of time on a lifeboat. #JodiLogic

:: "This is bullshit! This is crap. I can't believe we do this. This is wrong." At the beginning of the premiere, I picked that Andrew would be the one most likely to change his views on the issue, and so far, he's proving me right.

"We are being cruel for no reason" - Andrew

:: "I had a pretty good day today. Saw my first sunrise in probably ten years - and it was beautiful!" You could say that Jodi here is just putting a positive spin on things...you could also say she's being a callous dick. Your call though!

:: Speaking of lovely Jodi, you know how they say a picture is worth a thousand words? Well, take a look at this shot and tell me that it doesn't perfectly demonstrate the respect that each sister has for the country in which they've found themselves...


:: "That's his own fault, I guess. Is that [your children being kidnapped] a reason to jump the queue?" Jodi's response to a Rohingya refugee who failed to reach Australia with his family and is now being threatened by a trafficker. Much like a teenage girl, I JUST CAN'T EVEN. #JodiLogic

*** At this point in the episode, I had to take a break to have a little cry; between Jodi's heartlessness and the desperation of the Iraqi family speaking to Kim, Nicole & Andrew...I can only take so much misery. This world can be a very dark place.

OK, I've rallied, let's get back into it: We pick up with our reunited group of 6, discussing the idea of "the queue" in Indonesia.

:: "What about people who are worse off?" Jodi comes back to this idea constantly. I have to wonder, who in her mind is the "worst off"? I sense the reason she keeps circling back to this justification is this is her way of avoiding any obligation to feel compassion, by reminding herself that "there will be someone, somewhere, worse off than this guy. Ergo, I don't need to feel bad for him." #JodiLogic

:: "Well, they're going to have to wait it out until the system is fixed." - Kim's solution to the broken re-settlement process. #KimLogic. I don't know if anything else needs to be said, other than to add this photo of Renee, Andrew & Nicole's reaction to that statement...I'm pretty sure they're all counting to ten and reciting the Serenity Prayer in their heads right now...


*** Once Nicole, Andrew & Kim landed in the Syrian refugee camp, I needed to take another break to cry. So many children. Like Andrew, I feel the helplessness, and I just wish there was something we could do.

:: "I'm learning that I'm human." Well done to Andrew for being big enough to admit that he was misinformed, and for finding the compassion for refugees that so many Australians seem to lack. If only everyone had his humility.

:: "I can't imagine being in this situation, but if I was, I would try to escape. Even if it meant getting on a boat." And THERE it is. The penny is finally dropping for Jodi. I was worried it would never happen!

:: "We need to dump the UN." - Just in case you thought everyone was having a change of heart, Kim's here to educate us all as to what exactly Australia needs to do in order to shirk our responsibilities, vis-à-vis that pesky Refugee Convention thingamajig. Being a signatory is totes annoying, amirite? #KimLogic

Tonight, our intrepid six end their journey in the belly of the beast - will they survive Syria? WHO CAN SAY. 

The final episode of Go Back To Where You Came From airs tonight on SBS at 8:30pm. Catch up on Episode 1 here.

No comments:

Post a Comment