Monday 13 July 2015

An Open Letter to a Very Special Human of New York...

Hey mate,

...You don't actually know me, so I hope it's cool that I call you mate. It's an Australian thing!

I don't know you either, but I do know the story that you recently shared with Brandon Stanton when he took your photo...

 
Oh, bud. You have no idea how much my heart aches to read those words and to see the pain on your face. I just want to reach through my screen and give you a big hug.

First things first: You are not alone. Please don't ever think that you are going through this on your own. Because the truth is? Being a kid can really suck. School can be a nightmare. But that is true for so many people buddy, even the kids who you might think have all their shit together. The best part though? Is that it doesn't last forever. One day you wake up, and it's over, and you realise that you're living the life you want to live, as the person that you want to be. The person who you truly are. And you aren't afraid or ashamed, because you've surrounded yourself with people who love you for you.

And you are loved, darling boy. You have an internet full of people who think you are just the best. I am sure that I'm not the only one who is feeling like a protective mama bear towards you right now! I don't presume to know your exact situation, but if you don't feel as though your family is behind you? That's OK - you will find your tribe, you will make your own family. After all, family doesn't just mean the one you're born into: it's also the one you find for yourself.

You have such a bright future ahead of you, one full of love and joy. I know it seems scary now, but you truly have the world at your feet. You can be anything you want to be, and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. Never feel like you need to apologise for who you are.

You are special. You are loved. You deserve every happiness in the world.

...and if anyone ever tries to tell you otherwise, then you let me know and we'll take them on together.

With love & light from your self-appointed Aussie mama bear.


Hey you! If you're reading this and are struggling through tough times, please know that you are not alone! Reach out to someone - anyone - and ask for help. If you feel like you don't have anyone to talk to, then feel free to drop me a line at mamamedia.au@gmail.com - I'm not a professional, but I promise you I will listen.
Stay golden. You're awesome. x

No comments:

Post a Comment