Thursday 22 January 2015

Blue Eyes, Brat-titude and Other Gifts For My Daughter...


"Who do they look like?"

When you have a baby, this question is one that you'll hear more than most others. It is also one that you'll be pondering yourself.

When my daughter was first born, it was obvious that she had inherited my husband's big blue eyes, and, oddly enough, my toes. As she's grown, her inherited features have only become stronger - she has my bone structure and her daddy's mouth.

However, what I find myself thinking about more often is what personality traits of ours she may receive and in particular, what traits I would like for her to have.

I hope she gets B's athleticism - this is a man who, in his yearbook, is noted in every. single. sport. Football? Check. Cricket? Check. Cross Country running? Check. Athletics? Check. Swimming? Check. Rugby? He was the captain. There's not much that he doesn't excel at. He is also incredibly driven, with an amazing work ethic. And above all else - the reason that I fell in love with and married him - he is more devoted to his family than any man I have ever met.

As for my own charming qualities? I hope that she inherits my love of reading and my obnoxious need to know everything. And whilst I don't necessarily wish for her to receive my temper - a gift from my father, it is famously fiery and incredibly short - I do hope that she sticks up for what she believes in and stands by her opinions.

But more than anything - and stay with me here - I hope that she grows up unashamed of her intelligence. I was fortunate to attend a selective high school, so we never had to deal with bullies picking on the "nerds" because, let's face it, we were all nerds* in our own special way. But I am very aware of the appeal to be found in playing down your intelligence, especially for young girls. I want my daughter to feel secure enough in herself that she can be above that sort of behaviour.

When my dad teases me for being arrogant, I like to jokingly respond with my nose in the air: "There's nothing wrong with being awesome." However, when it comes to one's education, it's a statement that I completely stand by: There is nothing wrong with being smart, with enjoying learning and succeeding at school. I hope that this is an attitude that I can pass on to my Liv.

..and if she doesn't feel the same, then God help me, I will make her.

* I despise the word nerds. It is only permissible when used in an affectionate manner between loved ones. Or, when uttered by Liz Lemon in frustration. Because sometimes, a maddening situation just calls for a shaken fist and a NERDS!

No comments:

Post a Comment