Sunday 2 November 2014

Breast Cancer. What. A. Bitch.

Been a bit quiet on the ol' blog front. Our family has had some unfortunate news in the last few weeks.

Two weeks ago, my mother in law was diagnosed with stage III breast cancer. She has had surgery and is slowly on the mend whilst awaiting pathology results.

Needless to say, my husband is a bit broken. His parents separated when he was quite young, and he's a mama's boy to the core. In the best kind of way of course.

I've found myself in the enviable position of being both a wife trying to keep her husband's spirits up, and the daughter of a cancer survivor. My father was diagnosed with leukaemia when I was 17 and I vividly remember how much I hated the 'positive thinking' bullshit that people spout at someone dealing with a serious illness. I know, I know - they only mean well, and there's not much else they can say. I know. But when your loved one - especially a parent - is hooked up to a chemo drip, the last thing you want to hear is "don't worry! It will be fine!" Because YOU DON'T KNOW THAT.

My MIL is a tough broad though. She's tiny of stature, but definitely not of spirit. She once got into an argument with a former Federal Opposition leader - in public - and OWNED his arse when he tried to talk down to her. She's an incredible woman who I have so much respect & admiration for, and who raised the most wonderful, caring & respectful man that I have ever met.

I'm looking forward to getting back to blogging though. I tried to keep it up over the last couple of weeks, but life inevitably got in the way, so I'm now left with a pile of half-finished posts that are destined for the trash can, as they are - literally - last weeks news.

Anyway. Onwards and up.

No comments:

Post a Comment