Wednesday 19 November 2014

mamamusings :: Meet Me In The Blanket Fort

As I write this, I'm in hiding. Any minute now, my tormentors could discover me, and the jig will be up.

I am, of course, referring to my darling husband & baby daughter.

In the infamous SSB episode of Sex and the City, Carrie Bradshaw spoke of her need to "decompress" at the end of the day - to walk into her apartment and be silent and alone. Now that I'm a mother, the only time I get to decompress is once the baby is down for the night - usually around 11pm. If you were to come into my bedroom around 1 in the morning, you would find me curled up with my iPad, catching up on my twitter feed, or reading a book by nightlight. Or occasionally, sitting on the bench top in my ensuite reading magazines. It's the only "me time" I get.

Don't get me wrong - I love my daughter with a ferocity heretofore unknown. She is delightful. But some days are harder than others, and I miss being able to take moments for myself to just breathe.

So today, I decided I was taking time out for myself. I took the baby downstairs with B, got her to sleep, and came up here & climbed straight back into bed. B thinks I have a migraine & need to sleep it off (which isn't a lie - my head is pounding this morning) but really, I just need a break. A moment to myself, hiding under the covers with a packet of biscuits and a copy of ELLE from March that I still haven't read. 

A moment, before Liv wakes and the jig is truly up.

No comments:

Post a Comment