Monday 13 October 2014

Motorsports & Misogyny

"She'll probably be texting her updates back to the pits"

"Get back in the kitchen"

"Bet she purs (sic) like a V8 too"

"69 will be a great number"

"Is there room for groceries in the boot of a V8 Supercar?"

I wish I could say I had made these delightful quotes up. Unfortunately though, this is the kind of bullshit sportswomen in Australia still have to deal with.

The above comments were all taken from an announcement regarding 19-year-old Renee Gracie's promotion to the V8 Supercars Dunlop Series in 2015. Gracie has previously competed in the Porsche Carrera Cup, and started her career in karting. 

V8 Supercars are very much a boys club in this country - Gracie will be the first female to contest a full season since 2001. 

Amongst the blatantly disgusting misogyny were suggestions that Gracie only received her promotion due to her looks and "marketability" and not her talent behind the wheel. 

Renee Gracie (Source: V8 Supercars)

Now, I don't follow the V8's or Carrera Cup (I'm a Formula One gal myself), so I can't comment on Gracie's performance as a driver, however I take umbrage with the suggestion of anyone - male or female - receiving preferential treatment based on appearances.

The V8 Supercars are one of Australia's most popular sports - they certainly aren't wanting for supporters. The suggestion that women are only promoted in order to attract male fans is not only offensive, it's laughable.

But my foray into the world of V8 commentary wasn't all bad at least - I was heartened to see so many men in the comments sticking up for Gracie, and condemning the sexist remarks. Still, I can't help but wonder how she would feel reading these horrible things.

At this point, I feel like all there is left to say is - Congratulations Renee. Give 'em hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment