Wednesday 8 October 2014

The ABC has gone #MentalAs

Alex* was the kind of guy you couldn't help but like. He transcended cliques; he was kind to everyone. He had a sharp mind and an even sharper wit. He had a filthy mouth and a beautiful heart. He was my friend.

Alex passed away in 2012, just over 2 years ago now. He took his own life, after a long battle with depression. I think of him often, and although I'm still devastated that he felt he couldn't stay with us, I hope that he is at peace.

As tragic as it is though, Alex's story is not an unfamiliar one: 45.5% of the Australian population experiences a mental health disorder at some point in their lifetime. And if you're not part of the 45.5% then you probably know someone who is...Whether you realise it or not.


Which is why the latest programming move by the ABC is so fucking brilliant.

Embedded image permalink

(Source: ABC)
From the ABC press statement:

"To kick-start a national conversation about mental health across the wider community, the ABC is launching Mental As... the biggest ever cross-platform programming event conducted by the ABC, for Mental Health Week, 5-12 October 2014.

Across ABC TV, radio, online and mobile ABC Mental As... will take a look at mental health from all angles and perspectives, from comedy to documentary, entertainment to debate, as we aim to help join the dots on mental health in Australia."

I've been trying to catch as many of these specials as I can, and whilst they aren't always particularly easy to watch, they are incredibly powerful. More than that, they are important. Anything that can help even a single person is important.

God, I have so much more I would like to say, but I just can't seem to find the words. All I know is that I've seen too many wonderful people be broken by these insidious diseases.

*name has been changed

No comments:

Post a Comment