Tuesday 23 September 2014

mamamusings :: Tea & Apathy

I am a terrible housewife.

I mean, I love vacuuming, and I can iron like a champion, but if you were to ask my husband what my biggest domestic weakness is, he would, without a doubt, respond thusly:

"She doesn't cook dinner."

...Am I the only one who finds the entire concept of meals tiresome? I am a grazer - I eat a little here & there when I feel like it. And it's even worse now on maternity leave, without the structure of a working day & the breaks that it entails.

In a perfect world, he would arrive home from work to find me in the kitchen, cheerfully preparing something both delicious and nutritious, completely from scratch. Of course, in this perfect world, my hair is set, I am dressed in a pretty-yet-casual floral frock, and our daughter is serenely playing with her toys.

In reality though, he often arrives home to a woman still in PJs with her hair hastily thrown up in a messy topknot to stop the baby from ripping it out by the roots. The drapes are still drawn, the cats haven't been fed, and forget playing with her toys - at this stage, all she wants to do with her playmat is pee on it.

Frankly, I am too busy keeping an infant alive - I have very little energy left to think about food.

For the sake of my marriage though, I really do need to sort this shit out.

Ugh. Exhausted already.

No comments:

Post a Comment